The following safety equipment are compulsory for sparring events
- Dipped foam sparring gloves and boots (No fingers out of the gloves) or the ITF approved sparring equipment.
- Mouth guard.
- Groin guard for boys.
- Head guard (compulsory for all competitors).
The following applies to both coloured belts and senior black belts participants
- 2 x 2 minute rounds with 30 seconds break. In the case of a draw, an additional 1-minute round will be played.
- In the case of a second draw, the first to score rule will apply in the next round.
ITF Point Scoring
- Points will only be awarded when the correct technique is applied and the “Tool” used will touch the opponent Dobok (uniform) also if balance is maintained during and on completion of the attack.
- Points are only scored if contact is made to the front of the body, not the back or under the belt (waist).
- One point awarded for a hand attack directed to mid or high section.
- Two points awarded for a foot attack to mid-section.
- Three points awarded for a foot attack to high section.
Warnings will be issued if the following actions occur. Three warnings will result in a one point deduction.
- Attack to an illegal target.
- Falling down, whether intentionally or not.
- Holding, grabbing, pushing or sweeping.
- Stepping with both feet outside the ring.
- Pretending to score a point by raising arm.
- Talking back.
- Coach talking back.
- Faking a blow, pretending to be injured.
- Blind technique (e.g. spinning back fist if not sighted)
The following actions will result in a foul. One foul equates to one point being deducted from score, and three fouls will result in a disqualification.
- Loss of temper.
- Biting, scratching, clawing opponent.
- Insulting opponent in anyway.
- Excessive contact.
- Attacking with illegal tool (e.g. knee, elbow, forehand).
- Attacking a fallen opponent.
The following actions will result in immediate disqualification.
- Misconduct towards referee.
- Excessive aggressive contact.
- Infringement of sportsmanship.
- Infringement of any safety regulation.
- If suspected of being under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Committing 3 fouls.